Living In A Care Home In Wales

Are You A Carer?

Do you look after a relative, friend or neighbour who is ill, frail, disabled, has a mental health concern or problematic substance use and who could not manage without your help? If so, then you are a Carer and there are a number of ways you can get help and support.”

Tywi Taf Together recognises that Carers contribute a significant saving to the NHS by looking after relatives, neighbours or friends who might otherwise have to go into long term care. Young Carers, under the age of 18 may be particularly vulnerable due to their inexperience and lack of life-skills. This practice is committed to providing appropriate support and consideration to its patients who are Carers whatever their age.

How Can You Register As A Carer?

Registration forms are available in your surgery or speak to any staff member. Forms are also available from other voluntary organisations. 

Within your surgery you will have a Practice Carer’s Lead. You can ask to speak to him/her by telephone or make an appointment for a chat in the surgery.

What Can We Do To Help?

The practices within our cluster hold a list of those patients who are Carers and who have agreed to be on the register.  The register enables the practice to provide Carers with information on local and national support and help.  We can also arrange a referral to Social Services for a Carer’s Needs Assessment and other voluntary service agencies if required.

Within the Tywi, Taf,Together area we aim to raise awareness for the needs of Carers and to support them with practical help and information.

What Is A Carer's Needs Assessment?

A Carer’s Needs Assessment is your opportunity to tell Social Services about the things that could make caring easier for you. It is an assessment of your needs, not those of the person you are caring for. Every Carer is entitled to an assessment. When you register with us as a Carer, the practice will offer you the chance of a referral.

How Can I Find Out More?

Your practice has a dedicated Carers notice board in the waiting room with a lot of information and news of local events.

Thinking of what care you may need in the future, can be daunting but this document on advance care planning (downloadable here) can help you to make important decisions regarding your needs.  

Young Carers Service

The national Young Carer I.D. Card, funded by Welsh Government, is now available in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.  This enables a coordinated regional approach in supporting young carers, making it easier for them to access the help they need, when it is needed.

For young carers in Carmarthenshire please visit:

More Information For Carers


Carmarthenshire County Council

More information about support for carers can be found here. 

Young Adult Carers (16-25)

For more information for young adult carers please call 0300 0200 002. 

Or an advisor can also be reached by mobile on 07535449686

Alternatively Email melanie@carmarthenshire

Hywel Dda University Health Board

For more information for carers in English please visit the Hywel Dda website.

If you would like to view this service in Welsh please visit the Hywel Dda website.

Carmarthenshire Carers Information Service

Please write to the Carmarthenshire Carers Information Service at the following address:

The Palms Unit 3

96 Queen Street


SA15 2TH

Alternatively you may choose to phone them on 03000 200002.

Or Email for more information

Carmarthenshire Young Carers Service

Please write to the Carmarthenshire Young Carers Service at the following address:

Ty Elwyn
Town Hall Square,
SA15 3AP

Alternatively you can phone them on 01554 742630

Or please visit their website.

Other Useful Links

Please visit Carers Wales to find out more about  what support and advice is available to you.

Alternatively visit the NHS website for more information, or download this document on advance caring needs to plan for your future caring needs.

If you would like to view resources on Alzheimer’s, visit the Alzheimer’s Society.